17.2.19

SOBER

Let's just pretend like this isn't my first post in 3 years agreed? Grand :)

This year I embarked on dry January. Dry January (for non-UK folks) is the term given to the act of not drinking alcohol for the month of January after what is usually an obscenely boozy Christmas season. 

I'm a quintessential British binge drinker: the odd glass of wine in the week with dinner and a big nights out most weekends. Why would I do this to myself on the coldest, greyest, darkest month of the year you ask? Because I've been making terrible financial decisions and it's time to grow up and ideally save enough money to move house. More on that later.


January came and went and others went back to the gin and wine while I decided to keep on not drinking. I'd been saving a fortune by avoiding alcohol so wanted to continue for a wee while longer. 

If I'm honest, a part of me was expecting this to be life changing in some way. I thought I'd be a skin glowing waking up early never hungover full of energy incredibly lucid productive unstoppable bundle of better. Here's what's actually been happening. 

DATING
I'm not sure if you've ever dated sober, I certainly have always had at least one drink in hand during the early stages of dating just to ease through any awkwardness in the interaction. The one date I've had this year so far was with someone who was also dry january-ing (definitely a word). He had just moved into his new own new apartment so we decided (I decided) we should spend the evening furniture shopping at Westfield as our first date. 

I have to say this was a stellar date idea because it helped us both tick off items on our life admin lists. Had we been drinking, we probably would have just sat in a pub chatting away for a few hours. Sober dating is way more fulfilling. Future dates won't be sober necessarily but I'll try to be more productive with time spent with strangers. 


HEALTH
I have so far managed to avoid catching a cold this year (yes I know the year is new) despite my nearest and dearest succumbing to the sniffles. This could also be down to the vitamin D double dose I started taking earlier this month - who can really say? I guess less time spent in hangover mode means my white blood cells can actually do other jobs around my body ha. 


WELLBEING
At the start of January, I was drinking mocktails instead of water on nights out so I could still feel like I was a part of things. This was a mistake, sugar hangovers are just as bad as booze hangovers. I've lost no weight because every alcohol calorie I've saved has been swiftly replaced with food. Switching to soda water and fresh lemon in a gin goblet or wine glass (pictured) has been a gamechanger. Tastes gross (like booze) and hydrates so mornings are slick. Also, loads of pubs won't even charge you for it! Winner. 


VERDICT
It's been nice to not have to plan around hangovers at the weekends. I've spent far less this month by catching my last train home and having the energy to cook more at home. I also used to start nights out with a g&t or a prosecco to shake off my social anxiety. Going without in these circumstances has really been the hardest part of this little experiment. My hope is once I start drinking again (when I finally get the keys to my new home whenever that will be), I'll require way less. 

Yeah, didn't think so either haha.

What's the longest you've ever gone without your favourite drink? 

I miss wine. Sigh. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig