26.5.14

Thoughts On The Future

What do you want to be when you grow up? READ MORE



I don't know about you guys but I don't have a 5 year plan. Or a 2 year plan. Or any sort of plan beyond the next 6 months or so. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure this is a bad thing. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going. Do you?

I hugely admire those of you who do though, life must be far simpler when you know EXACTLY where you're going. You can ask yourself questions like "will this interfere with my dream of being a doctor/lawyer/nurse/astronaut/teacher/gangster" and actually have an answer! 

For those of us who can't, don't or won't make any sort of long term plan, life is...a little different.

The future is this place that crosses our mind every once in a while, sometimes reassuringly, sometimes terrifyingly, sometimes just acknowledging...ly.

It's also pretty difficult to make plans if a significant portions of your circumstances lie with forces outside of your control (i.e. refugees, members of royal families, etc).

I don't know much about living a life that's planned out to a 'T' but I can tell you all about living life with a 6 month rolling view and yes, the benefits of living in the moment do exist. Saying yes for example is a far less fraught affair when you aren't constantly referring to your life plan for guidance. And life becomes a series of leaps, big and small.

Cons? I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I have built up a great career I'm good at and enjoy. Did I dream of it when I was a child? Nope. A very random opportunity presented itself and I said yes.


Up until about 3 months ago, I hadn't had a real hobby since high school. Creating for this blog and my Youtube channel has been life-changing and has given me so much to sink my teeth into outside of work. It's re-energised my weekends and exposed me to skills I didn't think I was interested in like photography, video editing, writing, and so much more.

Yet if you'd asked me 4 months ago if I'd be interested in starting a blog of any sort or if I was at all creatively inclined, I probably would have laughed in your face. Pointed and laughed. At you. And your face. Now look where we are.

I guess my point is, instead of making set plans for myself, I have made a commitment to a feeling. The feeling I want is to be unafraid.

Not unafraid as in jumping out of planes or removing spiders unaided.

I want the kind of unafraid that comes from being secure - secure in myself and my ability to keep choosing happiness. That feeling gives me the guidance I need to move this Lumee train forward and leaves my path wide open so I can keep saying yes....within reason ;)

How do you know if you're on the right path? What does the right track look like to you? x



 
SHARE:
Blogger Template by pipdig