4.1.16

ONLINE DATING 101 PT. 3 - THE APPS


New year new beginnings. If you made resolutions for 2016 around your love life, you may find yourself a little overwhelmed by all the ways you can meet new people. Pimping ain't easy. I shared my online dating tips and tricks with you over a year ago and since then, times have changed ever so slightly. The number of apps has exploded. But which one is right for you? Let's dig in.


TINDER

How It Works:
Old faithful Tinder is the original of the dating apps having been on the radar for the longest. I wrote a blurb about Tinder here way back when which still stands pretty much. Swipe right for yes and left for no.

Verdict:
My experience of Tinder is one of frequent matches and very few conversations whereas my bestie S has frequent matches and frequent conversations but few dates. I have no idea what makes people message or not so if you guys know then holler. Recent changes to the app include a daily cap on right swiping, super likes, and paying options. I'd love for matches to expire after a period of time. 2 years of Tindering and nearly 2,000 matches later means there's a lot of 'staleness' on the app. 

HINGE

How It Works:
Hinge combs through your Facebook connections and presents you with 5-10 potential matches a day made up of single friends of friends and friends of friends of friends etc. If you like you heart and if they heart you back then either party has 24 hours to send the first message. If no one does then your match disappears back into the pool of potential matches. 

Verdict:
I like the time sensitive element of the app as it keeps the match list quite tidy for me but again, there's still not much talking happening. Starting to think it's me...nah!





BUMBLE

How It Works:
When I heard about Bumble I was super excited. Here your swipe as usual (right for yes, left for no) but when you match, only the woman can send the first message. 

Verdict:
So only the woman can message first. Great right? That is until you realise as a woman that making the first move is hard! I take back all the times I was harsh on a "Hello" opening message. My biggest issue with Bumble is the amount of fake filler profiles. Granted it's a brand new app so filler profiles help with boosting numbers. Maybe later down the line when there's more uptake, the fakes will be reduced. 




HAPPN

How It Works:
The app uses your location and tells you when you cross paths with another app user. If you like the user, you click heart. If you don't, ignore or click the x. When you match, you chat. 

Verdict:
Despite being active on social media and blogging, I do still value privacy and the app can sometimes overshare imho. If you're at home and someone walks past your front door with the app on their phone, they'll see that you both crossed paths and an exact map of where. Obviously if you're in a public space that's fine but if not then not so much.

I will say the app with the best looking men is Happn - not sure what the girls look like but if I'm anything to go by then the women must be quality too! ;)  I also tried Coffee Meets Bagel but the quality on there was AWFUL and the app itself is extremely limited. If you're going to restrict me to one match a day, make it a good one. I was not a fan at all and it was deleted after a couple of weeks. 

I hope that helps you guys in your quest for love etc. Have I missed any out? Hook me up!

And remember people, you won't find love by using the right app, it's about the right person at the right time. The apps just help you widen your net that much further :). I'd love to hear your what you guys think!

xxs


SHARE:
Blogger Template by pipdig